Your baby’s relationship with her sexuality begins during pregnancy and is influenced by the beliefs and experiences around sex and intimacy to which she is exposed in the womb.
Sex in Pregnancy and Your Baby’s Development
Armed with this knowledge you can help your baby move in the direction of an empowering, positive experience of her sexuality and a very healthy attitude towards sex.
- For example, tell her when you are exploring yourself or making love….reminding her that we were given wonderful bodies to enjoy ourselves and each other.
- Bring her attention to how good it feels to be with somebody with whom you share a mutual love and respect. Model to her the joy of receiving love and enjoying your body.
- When a request is made by either of you in love-making, bring that too to her attention, letting her know that it is always OK to ask for what you want.
- If either you or your partner are not in the mood, honour that by expressing it… thereby demonstrating to your baby that it is safe to communicate your feelings -that you are not responsible for meeting the needs of your partner (or visa versa).
- Before orgasm, prepare your baby. Tell her that she will feel contractions in the womb but that it is not yet time to be born. Suggest to her that she enjoy the sensations and the feelings of love.
These comments will support your baby in being comfortable in her own sexuality and expression of same. It will also prepare you both for very healthy conversations about sexuality when she is older.